Parent Information

Obtaining Information and Protecting Student Rights

Your child will not be required to participate without parental consent in any survey, analysis, or evaluation—funded in whole or in part by the U.S. Department of Education—that concerns:
• Political affiliations or beliefs of the student or the student’s parent.
• Mental or psychological problems of the student or the student’s family.
• Sexual behavior or attitudes.
• Illegal, antisocial, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior.
• Critical appraisals of individuals with whom the student has a close family
• Relationships privileged under law, such as relationships with lawyers, physicians,
and ministers.
• Religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs of the student or parents.
• Income, except when the information is required by law and will be used to determine
the student’s eligibility to participate in a special program or to receive financial
assistance under such a program.
You will be able to inspect the survey or other instrument and any instructional materials
used in connection with such a survey, analysis, or evaluation. [For further information,
see policy EF(LEGAL).]

“Opting Out” of Surveys and Activities

As a parent, you have a right to receive notice of and deny permission for your child’s
participation in:
• Any survey concerning the private information listed above, regardless of funding.
• School activities involving the collection, disclosure, or use of personal information
gathered from your child for the purpose of marketing or selling that information.
• Any nonemergency, invasive physical examination or screening required as a
condition of attendance, administered and scheduled by the school in advance and not
necessary to protect the immediate health and safety of the student. Exceptions are
hearing, vision, or scoliosis screenings, or any physical exam or screening permitted
or required under state law. [See policies EF and FFAA.]
Displaying a Student’s Artwork and Projects
As a parent, you have a right to provide consent before the district can display your
child’s artwork, special projects, photographs taken by your child, and the like on the
district’s Web site, in printed material, by video, or by any other method of mass

Requesting Professional Qualifications of Teachers and Staff

You may request information regarding the professional qualifications of your child’s
teachers, including whether a teacher has met state qualification and licensing criteria forb the grade levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction; whether the teacher has an emergency permit or other provisional status for which state requirements have been waived; and undergraduate and graduate degree majors, graduate certifications, and the field of study of the certification or degree. You also have the right to request information about the qualifications of any paraprofessional who may provide services to your child.

Reviewing Instructional Materials

As a parent, you have a right to review teaching materials, textbooks, and other teaching
aids and instructional materials used in the curriculum, and to examine tests that have
been administered to your child.
Inspecting Surveys
As a parent, you may inspect a survey created by a third party before the survey is
administered or distributed to your child.
Accessing Student Records
You may review your child’s student records. These records include:
• Attendance records,
• Test scores,
• Grades,
• Disciplinary records,
• Counseling records,
• Psychological records,
• Applications for admission,
• Health and immunization information,
• Other medical records,
• Teacher and counselor evaluations,
• Reports of behavioral patterns, and
• State assessment instruments that have been administered to your child.

Granting Permission to Video or Audio Record a Student

As a parent, you may grant or deny any written request from the district to make a video
or voice recording of your child. State law, however, permits the school to make a video
or voice recording without parental permission for the following circumstances:
• When it is to be used for school safety;
• When it relates to classroom instruction or a cocurricular or extracurricular activity;
• When it relates to media coverage of the school.
Removing a Student Temporarily from the Classroom
You may remove your child temporarily from the classroom if an instructional activity in
which your child is scheduled to participate conflicts with your religious or moral beliefs.
The removal cannot be for the purpose of avoiding a test and may not extend for an entire
semester. Further, your child must satisfy grade-level and graduation requirements as
determined by the school and by the Texas Education Agency.
Excusing a Student from Reciting the Pledges to the U.S. and Texas Flags
As a parent, you may request that your child be excused from participation in the daily
recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States flag and the Pledge of
Allegiance to the Texas flag. The request must be in writing. State law does not allow
your child to be excused from participation in the required minute of silence or silent
activity that follows. [See Pledges of Allegiance and A Minute of Silence and policy

Excusing a Student from Reciting a Portion of the Declaration of Independence

You may request that your child be excused from recitation of a portion of the
Declaration of Independence. State law requires students in social studies classes in
grades 3–12 to recite a portion of the text of the Declaration of Independence during
Celebrate Freedom Week unless (1) you provide a written statement requesting that your
child be excused, (2) the district determines that your child has a conscientious objection
to the recitation, or (3) you are a representative of a foreign government to whom the
United States government extends diplomatic immunity. [See policy EHBK(LEGAL).]
Requesting Notices of Certain Student Misconduct
A noncustodial parent may request in writing that he or she be provided, for the
remainder of the school year, a copy of any written notice usually provided to a parent
related to your child’s misconduct that may involve placement in a Disciplinary
Alternative Education Program (DAEP) or expulsion. [See policy FO(LEGAL) and the
Student Code of Conduct.]

Requesting Transfers for Your Child

As a parent, you have a right:

• To request the transfer of your child to another classroom or campus if your child has
been determined by the board or its designee to have been a victim of bullying as the
term is defined by Education Code 25.0341. Transportation is not provided for a
transfer to another campus. See the Superintendent for
information. [See policy FDB.]
[See Bullying , and policy FFI(LOCAL).]
• To request the transfer of your child to attend a safe public school in the district if
your child attends school at a campus identified by TEA as persistently dangerous or
if your child has been a victim of a violent criminal offense while at school or on
school grounds. [See policy FDD(LOCAL).]
• To request the transfer of your child to another campus if your child has been the
victim of a sexual assault by another student assigned to the same campus, whether
that assault occurred on or off campus, and that student has been convicted of or
placed on deferred adjudication for that assault. [See policies FDD(LEGAL) and

Requesting Classroom Assignment for Multiple Birth Siblings

As a parent, if your children are multiple birth siblings (e.g., twins, triplets, etc.) assigned
to the same grade and campus, you may request that they be placed either in the same
classroom or in separate classrooms. Your written request must be submitted no later
than the 14th day after the enrollment of your children. [See FDB(LEGAL).]