Homeless Education – Title I and McKinney-Vento Provisions
Sinton ISD is committed to helping our students who are experiencing homelessness through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Program. The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (Subtitle B – Education for Homeless Children and Youth), ensures educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness. Services to homeless children are required by districts in the No Child Left Behind Act, and are primarily found under the requirements of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act of 2002 (Title X, Part C No Child Left Behind Act) and under Title I.
Who is considered homeless?
- Students living in temporary housing due to economic hardship (shelters, hotels, RV’s, etc.)
- Students living with family members or friends (doubled –up) due to economic hardship or loss of housing
- In sub-standard housing (No electricity, water and/or heat)
- Unaccompanied youth
Students experiencing homelessness have certain legal rights. Services include:
- School enrollment assistance
- School transportation assistance
- Lunch program assistance
- Other assistance
- Community resources
For questions, please contact any campus or 361-364-6838.